In case, you are traveling to a remote part of a country, where cell phones can’t be used for communicating. In such cases, satellite phones come to your assistance. A satellite phone is a communication device that transmits communication links through the Low earth-orbiting satellite or geostationary satellites that are constantly orbiting around the earth. Satellite phones come in handy during an emergency such as natural calamities or during military operations.
Despite being a useful device it involves a lot of advantages and disadvantages.
- No requirement for a land-based tower.
- Excellent connectivity all over the world.
- Provides a more secure line of communication.
- Uniform phone number.
- Available for the rental option.
- Highly useful during emergencies
- Wide network coverage allows the user to call from one side of the world to another.
- Stronger and unbreakable signal than that of a cell phone.
- Equipped with voice mail and incoming phone number to indicate waiting for a message.
- No requirement for the setup and installation process.
- Provide Consistent performance irrespective of the region and situation.
- Only to work outside, the user has to step out of their shelter in order to establish the communication link.
- Essential to have a clear line of sight to the sky.
- It Costs a lot more than general cell phones. satellite phone singapore cost is quite reasonable compared to other countries).
- Cannot access the internet. However, there are a few new models that support the internet through certain hotspots.
- The per-minute cost of a call is relatively higher than a cell phone call.
- Network issues might arise due to severe weather problems such as downpours or hailstorms.
- Delay in the establishment of communication lines when using a network based on geosynchronous orbits.
- Have to acquire government permission before Operating the device (Applicable only in a few countries).